snubbr.com

What Bag, Flash, and Lens Hood?
We recently bought a Nikon D40 (w. kit lens 18-55) plus the 18-200 VR. We are also considering the 50mm 1.4 Nikkor..

Just wondering about what bag we should buy? Also, how do you store the lenses when they aren't on the camera?.

And which external flash and lens hood would we need?.

Thanks...

Comments (13)

I am a Canon user so I can't answer all of your questions..

Shopgirlhawaii wrote:.

We recently bought a Nikon D40 (w. kit lens 18-55) plus the 18-200VR. We are also considering the 50mm 1.4 Nikkor..

Just wondering about what bag we should buy?.

There are several types of bag..

1. Holster type bag that takes the camera and a single lens. You should definitely get one of these since you are likely to be doing 95%+ of your shooting with the 18-200. Get one that has enough pouches for spare batteries, memory cards, filters, etc..

2. Shoulder bags with a single strap that you carry over your shoulder. Lots of different sizes available. Advantage - easy to get at your equipment without taking the bag off of your shoulder. Disadvantage - uncomfortable to carry for a long time especially if it is heavy..

3. Rucksack type. Advantage - the most comfortable to carry for a long time with a heavy load. Disdvantage - you have to take the bag off to get at your equipment..

You can now get "hybrid" type bags that have a single strap that you wear diagonally across your back. You can swing these round to the side to get at some of your equipment. Not as convenient as a shoulder bag and not as comfortable as a rucksack, but quite a good compromise. The Lowepro range is called "Slingshot" but there are others..

Also, how do you store the lenses when they aren't on the camera?.

Always with a front and rear lens cap on. I tend to store mine in one of my camera bags (I have several)..

And which external flash and lens hood would we need?.

You will need to ask about this on the Nikon D40 forum. Lens hoods are normally lens specific - certainly your 18-200 will be..

When getting an external flash make sure that you get one whose head can tilt and swivel so that you can bounce the flash off of the ceiling or a wall. I think that one of the Nikon flashes (SB400?) tilts but doesn't swivel, and I wouldn't get this..

Chris R..

Comment #1

Here is a link.http://tamrac.com/Always get a bigger bag then you think you will need.Flash Nikon sb600 or more money sb800I always keep the lens my 18-200 vr on the camera.My bag is a Tamrac 5674..

Comment #2

Thanks for the response Chris R - can you tell me a good online store where I might be able to see the difference between all these types of bags?..

Comment #3

Shopgirlhawaii wrote:.

We recently bought a Nikon D40 (w. kit lens 18-55) plus the 18-200VR. We are also considering the 50mm 1.4 Nikkor..

You are aware that the Nikon 50/1.4 will not autofocus on the D40, right? The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and upcoming 50mm f/1.4 will autofocus..

Just wondering about what bag we should buy?.

Go to Target or Walmart, the baby section. Look at all the diaper bags. Pick one that meets your needs in terms of size. If you need padding, go get some from a fabric or hardware store. The advantage of diaper bags is that they don't look like a camera bag. Less likely to be stolen..

Also, how do you storethe lenses when they aren't on the camera?.

Both caps on, hood reversed..

And which external flash and lens hood would we need?.

SB-600. Otherwise SB-800, but if you have to ask, you probably don't need it..

SB-400 only if your budget is limited or you need a really compact external flash. Two problems: no zoom and no swivel. Zoom is nice to give the flash more range with longer lenses. Swivel is essential if you want to bounce off the ceiling in portrait orientation..

Thanks..

You're welcome..

Seen in a fortune cookie:Fear is the darkroom where negatives are developed..

Comment #4

Here is a link to B&H:.

Http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...Accessories_Bags_Cases_Carrying_Equipment.html.

However, you really need to see and try out the bags in person. Try to get to a reaonable size photo store..

I would just get a holster type bag to start with. It will always be useful.Chris R..

Comment #5

Oh wow, diaper bag!!! I have several beauties I never use anymore - brilliant!!.

Thanks for the tip on the lens - this is all so new to me...

Comment #6

Re 50mm f/1.4 - would this be a good lens to hold out for?..

Comment #7

Shopgirlhawaii wrote:.

Re 50mm f/1.4 - would this be a good lens to hold out for?.

Do you mean the Sigma 50mm f/1.4? I'd hold out for it, much better than getting the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 and trying to manual focus with the 40D viewfinder..

Here's the available details on this lens:.

Http://www.sigmaphoto.com/.../lenses_all_details.asp?id=3354&navigator=17.

Typically Sigma announces lenses about 3 to 4 months before they are available..

Seen in a fortune cookie:Fear is the darkroom where negatives are developed..

Comment #8

I think that you have to decide what you need this lens for. On a 1.6x crop body it is a very good lens for head and shoulder portraits. Otherwise it is a low light lens with not quite an ideal focal length for most purposes - 30mm or 35mm would be much more useful..

I have a 50mm 1.8 for my Canon 20D because it is very cheap (about $75) and pretty good optically. I don't use it very often except for indoor portraits. I wouldn't pay the extra for a 50mm 1.4 because something like the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is a much more useful lens.Chris R..

Comment #9

The reason I had been looking at that cheaper Nikon 50mm 1.4 was because a photographer I admire recommended starting with the 1.8 if I wanted to experiment with wide apertures and not spend a fortune doing so. I really love her work and that's how she shoots most of her stuff (unposed portrait stuff). But knowing the obsessive compulsive side of myself, I know that I'd rather hold out for something that is going to be more functional for me and taking pics of my kids..

So in that case, what would be the big benefits of 30 over 50?.

I appreciate the helpfulness, btw...

Comment #10

Shopgirlhawaii wrote:.

So in that case, what would be the big benefits of 30 over 50?.

Focal length..

Walk around with your 18-200mm set to 30mm. Take a bunch of pictures. Especially indoor pictures, as that's often how a fast lens is used..

Now do the same at 50mm..

What works better for you?.

I'm guessing that 30mm will work better for you indoors, unless you live in a palace. In most rooms, you can't get far enough back with a 50mm to take in a scene. Walls can't usually be moved ..

Seen in a fortune cookie:Fear is the darkroom where negatives are developed..

Comment #11

This is the lens I was referring to:Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras.

It says Auto Focus, am I wrong? Just want to make sure I'm not reading it wrong..

I just tried taking a bunch of pics at 30, 35, and 50 and 50 was definitely the preference for me - especially because I'll be wanting this lens for more head/shoulder close-ups..

In that case, is this a good lens, do you think?.

ETA: Okay, just doing some more reading, and it looks like because this isn't an AF-S lens, that's why it can't auto focus on the D40, right? Grrrrrrrr...

Comment #12

Shopgirlhawaii wrote:.

This is the lens I was referring to:Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras.

It says Auto Focus, am I wrong?.

Yes, you are wrong. But don't feel too bad, it's Nikon's fault that they've led you into this confusing mess..

D40, D40x or D60 will only autofocus with lenses that have a focus motor in them. In Nikon's lens lineup, that means AF-S or AF-I lenses. For Sigma, that means HSM lenses or one otherwise marked as being capable of autofocusing with all Nikon DSLRs, such as the new 18-200mm (not to be confused with the old one):.

Http://www.sigmaphoto.com/...s/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3341&navigator=6.

Tamron is coming out with a few lenses with in-lens AF motor, too..

I just tried taking a bunch of pics at 30, 35, and 50 and 50 wasdefinitely the preference for me - especially because I'll be wantingthis lens for more head/shoulder close-ups..

OK, then wait for the Sigma 50/1.4 HSM if you want auto focus..

ETA: Okay, just doing some more reading, and it looks like becausethis isn't an AF-S lens, that's why it can't auto focus on the D40,right? Grrrrrrrr..

Right. Remember to thank Nikon!.

Seen in a fortune cookie:Fear is the darkroom where negatives are developed..

Comment #13

Click Here to View All...

Sponsored Amazon Deals:

1. Get big savings on Amazon warehouse deals.
2. Save up to 70% on Amazon Products.


This question was taken from a support group/message board and re-posted here so others can learn from it.

 

Categories: Home | Diet & Weight Management | Vitamins & Supplements | Herbs & Cleansing |

Sexual Health | Medifast Support | Nutrisystem Support | Medifast Questions |

Web Hosting | Web Hosts | Website Hosting | Hosting |

Web Hosting | GoDaddy | Digital Cameras | Best WebHosts |

Web Hosting FAQ | Web Hosts FAQ | Hosting FAQ | Hosting Group |

Hosting Questions | Camera Tips | Best Cameras To Buy | Best Cameras This Year |

Camera Q-A | Digital Cameras Q-A | Camera Forum | Nov 2010 - Cameras |

Oct 2010 - Cameras | Oct 2010 - DSLRs | Oct 2010 - Camera Tips | Sep 2010 - Cameras |

Sep 2010 - DSLRS | Sep 2010 - Camera Tips | Aug 2010 - Cameras | Aug 2010 - DSLR Tips |

Aug 2010 - Camera Tips | July 2010 - Cameras | July 2010 - Nikon Cameras | July 2010 - Canon Cameras |

July 2010 - Pentax Cameras | Medifast Recipes | Medifast Recipes Tips | Medifast Recipes Strategies |

Medifast Recipes Experiences | Medifast Recipes Group | Medifast Recipes Forum | Medifast Support Strategies |

Medifast Support Experiences |

 

(C) Copyright 2010 All rights reserved.