snubbr.com

Photographing jumping horses : which DSLR-like has the shortest shutter lag?
Hi,.

I ask this question for a friend. He would like to shoot pictures from jumping horses. This asks for a fast camera off-course and a tall zoom. As he has a small budget I suggested he would go for a fast DSLR-like, with al 10x-or-more optical tele, with Vibrabtion Reduction. But now the questions is : which DSLR-like camera has the smallest shutterlag between unpressed and fully pressed button? Is there someone here that knows this by heart? Because I don't have the courage and time to start comparing all those DSLR-likes.... :-/.

Regards,.

Paul..

Comments (6)

Hi Muug.

You don't need VR for fast moving objects, It doesn't help at all with moving objects. VR is for reducing vibration when using a longer exposuretime..

Its impossible to take a shot that fast in single shot mode. I would use a camera that can take eg 3 shots a second (or better more) and pres the button just as the action you want to photograph begins and loose the button when the jump is finished. You will get a lot of pictures you don't want but the one you want is there too..

You will need a camera/lens combo that has a good autofocus and can take multiple shots a second. And this might be the financial problem, good lenses are expensive. I don' t know what focal length he needs but I would NOT look for a 10x zoom but a zoom somewhere between 70 and 300mm, or a prime around 200 to 400mm. I hope he can get close enough to the field. Longer lenses are maybe to expensive..

Canon has an XTi and an 70-200-F4-L lens or an 70-300IS lens and some good primes too. I dont know the other brands but take a look at those forums for telelenses used for sports and check the sites where people store there pics, eghttp://www.pbase.com.

Bair.

Muug wrote:.

Hi,.

I ask this question for a friend. He would like to shoot picturesfrom jumping horses. This asks for a fast camera off-course and atall zoom. As he has a small budget I suggested he would go for afast DSLR-like, with al 10x-or-more optical tele, with VibrabtionReduction. But now the questions is : which DSLR-like camera has thesmallest shutterlag between unpressed and fully pressed button? Isthere someone here that knows this by heart? Because I don't have thecourage and time to start comparing all those DSLR-likes.... :-/.

Regards,.

Paul..

Comment #1

Your friend is wasting money buying anything less than a dslr. A nikon d40 or canon 350d with 70-300 lens is the cheepest practical arrangement. Forget burst shots, to get the best timing single shot is best, I would guess your friend knows something about horses so they will get the timing of jumps quite quickly. it's not very difficult if you know the sport. Because of the delay in focusing and shutter lag dslr-like cameras are very difficult to use on horses where shape needs to be precise. Yes there are techniques such as prefocusing, manual exposure to get it faster but that is a weak substitute for a dslr and calls for some photographic knowledge and there are some superb photos taken that way, buts it's not reliable. Where your friend will be disapointed with the 70-300 lens is when they are jumping inside, but without proper investment in skill and equipment it cant be done...

Comment #2

Sorry that the first two responders didn't answer your question, but rather preached to you about their "religion"... .

Muug wrote:.

Hi,.

I ask this question for a friend. He would like to shoot picturesfrom jumping horses..

Pronouns are difficult, I know. When you say "shoot pictures from jumping horses" that implies that your friend is riding the horse and is trying to take a picture WHILE the horse is jumping! You probably meant to say "shoot pictures of jumping horses"? Please confirm which of these meanings is the correct one..

This asks for a fast camera off-course and atall zoom. As he has a small budget I suggested he would go for afast DSLR-like, with al 10x-or-more optical tele, with VibrabtionReduction. But now the questions is : which DSLR-like camera has thesmallest shutterlag between unpressed and fully pressed button?.

It is incorrect to operate a camera that way! All modern cameras have a 2-position shutter button. It's built that way for a reason. The first (half-pressed) position causes auto-focus, auto-exposure, and auto-white-balance to happen; the second (full-pressed) position causes the picture to be taken..

Is there someone here that knows this by heart?.

No. We have better things to do!.

Because I don't have the courage and time to start comparing all those DSLR-likes.... :-/.

Most dSLR-like cameras will do what your friend wants...if he learns how to use it, by half-pressing to focus, holding the focus until the peak action happens, then pressing the shutter fully. In fact, MOST of them have faster shutter lag than the expensive dSLRs, which have to flip the mirror out of the way, before they can take a picture. Many "P&S" cameras have a pre-focused shutter lag of 5-10 mS, whereas, dSLRs rarely exceed 50 mS..

I take pix like this regularly. My advice is to:.

1. Get a monopod and shoulder brace2. Set the exposure manually3. Set the focus manually (focus on the barricade the horse will jump over)4. As the horse approaches, start panning5. As the horse jumps, shoot the picture.

Horses are slow enough that it's possible to set the camera for a 3-shot burst and depress the shutter (fully) when the horse STARTS to jump. This gives 3 chances to get a non-blurry picture and 3 different positions of horse and rider..

However, shutter lag is not the biggest problem. Tell your friend to go hold the cameras under consideration. They all feel different and one will quickly feel "right"....

Charlie DavisNikon 5700 & Sony R1HomePage: http://www.1derful.infoBridge Blog: http://www.here-ugo.com/BridgeBlog/..

Comment #3

Chuxter wrote:.

Sorry that the first two responders didn't answer your question, butrather preached to you about their "religion"....

Yes I think you are correct, my answer was in many ways a quick rant rather than an helpful response to the enquirer..

The response is because I have been asked by many people on the edge of equestrian arenas how they can get photos of horses jumping with there dslr-like cameras. (they always seem to have been told by the salesman they will easily get good pictures)The technique you suggest is the way I suggest to do it, except for the tripod which I never think about. Even when I do most of the work for them, show them how to set up in manual, prefocus and show them how to pan etc, very few take it on board, those that do have a low percentage of succes and the ones who realy go for it end out buying a dslr anyway. (they are not normaly interested in photography, there passion is the horses) With the dslr the succes rate rises radicaly, very few actualy getting good but generaly getting images they are satisfied with..

The reason for encouraging the single shot approach is to with the shape of the animal. Cars as an example keep the same form and lend themselves well to prefocus whilst equstrian is much more about the changing form and getting exactly the right shape. Taking single shots develops skills much faster and in the longer term produces a much higher quality of result..

Hopefully my response to yourself may be of use to the OP as they wiegh up the matter..

Tony..

Comment #4

Tonywh wrote:.

Chuxter wrote:.

Sorry that the first two responders didn't answer your question, butrather preached to you about their "religion"....

Yes I think you are correct, my answer was in many ways a quick rantrather than an helpful response to the enquirer..

I'm pleased you took my criticism well. .

The response is because I have been asked by many people on the edgeof equestrian arenas how they can get photos of horses jumping withthere dslr-like cameras. (they always seem to have been told by thesalesman they will easily get good pictures)The technique you suggestis the way I suggest to do it, except for the tripod which I neverthink about..

Monopod...hard to pan using a tripod!.

Even when I do most of the work for them, show them howto set up in manual, prefocus and show them how to pan etc, very fewtake it on board, those that do have a low percentage of succes andthe ones who realy go for it end out buying a dslr anyway. (they arenot normaly interested in photography, there passion is the horses)With the dslr the succes rate rises radicaly, very few actualygetting good but generaly getting images they are satisfied with..

Perhaps the dSLR-like cameras they had were poor examples? Many of the current crop are pretty poor, I think..

The reason for encouraging the single shot approach is to with theshape of the animal. Cars as an example keep the same form and lendthemselves well to prefocus whilst equstrian is much more about thechanging form and getting exactly the right shape. Taking singleshots develops skills much faster and in the longer term produces amuch higher quality of result..

I agree with the 1-shot approach. My feeling is that there is only ONE peak of the action and limiting one's self to a single shot, over time, leads to good pix. I have tried the 3-shot burst, which some people like. I really only use it for sequences, like this:.

Image control:Zoom outZoom 100%Zoom inExpand AllOpen in new window.

Were I to do some horse jumping pix, I would at least try one of these sequences!.

Hopefully my response to yourself may be of use to the OP as theywiegh up the matter..

I hope so too..

Charlie DavisNikon 5700 & Sony R1HomePage: http://www.1derful.infoBridge Blog: http://www.here-ugo.com/BridgeBlog/..

Comment #5

Chuxter wrote:.

Muug wrote:.

Hi,.

I ask this question for a friend. He would like to shoot picturesfrom jumping horses..

Pronouns are difficult, I know. When you say "shoot pictures fromjumping horses" that implies that your friend is riding the horse andis trying to take a picture WHILE the horse is jumping! You probablymeant to say "shoot pictures of jumping horses"? Please confirm whichof these meanings is the correct one..

Indeed, I meant shooting pictures of jumping horses".  Thanks for the advice everybody !..

Comment #6

Click Here to View All...

Sponsored Amazon Deals:

1. Get big savings on Amazon warehouse deals.
2. Save up to 70% on Amazon Products.


This question was taken from a support group/message board and re-posted here so others can learn from it.

 

Categories: Home | Diet & Weight Management | Vitamins & Supplements | Herbs & Cleansing |

Sexual Health | Medifast Support | Nutrisystem Support | Medifast Questions |

Web Hosting | Web Hosts | Website Hosting | Hosting |

Web Hosting | GoDaddy | Digital Cameras | Best WebHosts |

Web Hosting FAQ | Web Hosts FAQ | Hosting FAQ | Hosting Group |

Hosting Questions | Camera Tips | Best Cameras To Buy | Best Cameras This Year |

Camera Q-A | Digital Cameras Q-A | Camera Forum | Nov 2010 - Cameras |

Oct 2010 - Cameras | Oct 2010 - DSLRs | Oct 2010 - Camera Tips | Sep 2010 - Cameras |

Sep 2010 - DSLRS | Sep 2010 - Camera Tips | Aug 2010 - Cameras | Aug 2010 - DSLR Tips |

Aug 2010 - Camera Tips | July 2010 - Cameras | July 2010 - Nikon Cameras | July 2010 - Canon Cameras |

July 2010 - Pentax Cameras | Medifast Recipes | Medifast Recipes Tips | Medifast Recipes Strategies |

Medifast Recipes Experiences | Medifast Recipes Group | Medifast Recipes Forum | Medifast Support Strategies |

Medifast Support Experiences |

 

(C) Copyright 2010 All rights reserved.