snubbr.com

How to reduce JPG size?
Ok, I know some basic stuff like JPG compression/quality etc but here's my problem.

My target file size is 200K.

It's an 8MP image so 2xxx X 3xxx size.

I have JPG converted from RAW->TIFF-> JPG at 300 DPI and even if I try and save it at 70% quality, file size reduces to 965K.

If I reduce the DPI to 72 from 300 my image dimensions are reduced to some 1000 pixels longest side which I do not want. It also does not brings file size to 200K.

Can someone help?.

Regards,Nilesh..

Comments (9)

Hi Nilesh.

Which program are you using to reduce the file size? I have used IrfanView in the past with varying degrees of success. If you are not concerned about the quality of the final image then IrfanView should be able to bringit down to 200K..

I have just tried this with an image of approximately 3.5MB and it brought the file size down to 192K at 20% Quality settings. This will probably vary from one image to another..

Hope this helps..

Regards, Mirza.

Http://ahmad.zenfolio.com/..

Comment #1

The DPI field has nothing to do with filesize, nor pixel dimensions, nor image quality..

The DPI field has to do with the *default* print size, and the relationship between font point sizes and font pixel sizes. That is all..

JPEG compression balances file size versus image quality, while not changing pixel dimensions..

Resampling affects all three..

[ e d @ h a l l e yc c ] http://www.halley.cc/pix/..

Comment #2

I should have mentioned, I want to keep image quality at 70% since I want to submit the photo for one request..

Comment #3

Impossible, sorry..

Nileshbhise wrote:.

I should have mentioned, I want to keep image quality at 70% since Iwant to submit the photo for one request..

Comment #4

Agreed, you are simply asking too much. Image resolution (ie, 2000x3000 pixels), Compressed file size (ie, 200k), and Image Quality - pick two, only two..

Apiron wrote:.

Impossible, sorry..

Nileshbhise wrote:.

I should have mentioned, I want to keep image quality at 70% since Iwant to submit the photo for one request.

Some cool cats that can use your helphttp://www.wildlife-sanctuary.org.

Even if you can't donate, please help spread the word...

Comment #5

Apiron wrote:.

Impossible, sorry..

IMac, therefore iAm wrote:.

Agreed, you are simply asking too much. Image resolution (ie,2000x3000 pixels), Compressed file size (ie, 200k), and Image Quality- pick two, only two..

Oh, wait! I just realized we were missing an important variable!.

If you make a 2000x3000 JPEG where every pixel is pure white, you can probably compress that at 70% and get down below the required 200KB file size..

You say you wanted to pick the image, such as your crisp portrait of Aunt Maude in her hand-knit sweater? Nope, entirely impossible, sorry..

[ e d @ h a l l e yc c ] http://www.halley.cc/pix/..

Comment #6

Ed Halley wrote:.

Apiron wrote:.

Impossible, sorry..

IMac, therefore iAm wrote:.

Agreed, you are simply asking too much. Image resolution (ie,2000x3000 pixels), Compressed file size (ie, 200k), and Image Quality- pick two, only two..

Oh, wait! I just realized we were missing an important variable!.

If you make a 2000x3000 JPEG where every pixel is pure white, you canprobably compress that at 70% and get down below the required 200KBfile size..

LOL... true! ..

Comment #7

Nileshbhise wrote:.

If I reduce the DPI to 72 from 300 my image dimensions are reduced tosome 1000 pixels longest side.

No it isn't.

You change the DPI, the number of pixels remains the same...

Comment #8

Hobgoblin wrote:.

Nileshbhise wrote:.

If I reduce the DPI to 72 from 300 my image dimensions are reduced tosome 1000 pixels longest side.

No it isn't.

You change the DPI, the number of pixels remains the same..

Not necessarily. In photoshop if "Resample Image" is checked, it will in fact reduce the number of pixels...

Comment #9

Click Here to View All...

Sponsored Amazon Deals:

1. Get big savings on Amazon warehouse deals.
2. Save up to 70% on Amazon Products.


This question was taken from a support group/message board and re-posted here so others can learn from it.

 

Categories: Home | Diet & Weight Management | Vitamins & Supplements | Herbs & Cleansing |

Sexual Health | Medifast Support | Nutrisystem Support | Medifast Questions |

Web Hosting | Web Hosts | Website Hosting | Hosting |

Web Hosting | GoDaddy | Digital Cameras | Best WebHosts |

Web Hosting FAQ | Web Hosts FAQ | Hosting FAQ | Hosting Group |

Hosting Questions | Camera Tips | Best Cameras To Buy | Best Cameras This Year |

Camera Q-A | Digital Cameras Q-A | Camera Forum | Nov 2010 - Cameras |

Oct 2010 - Cameras | Oct 2010 - DSLRs | Oct 2010 - Camera Tips | Sep 2010 - Cameras |

Sep 2010 - DSLRS | Sep 2010 - Camera Tips | Aug 2010 - Cameras | Aug 2010 - DSLR Tips |

Aug 2010 - Camera Tips | July 2010 - Cameras | July 2010 - Nikon Cameras | July 2010 - Canon Cameras |

July 2010 - Pentax Cameras | Medifast Recipes | Medifast Recipes Tips | Medifast Recipes Strategies |

Medifast Recipes Experiences | Medifast Recipes Group | Medifast Recipes Forum | Medifast Support Strategies |

Medifast Support Experiences |

 

(C) Copyright 2010 All rights reserved.