snubbr.com

First SLR Camera
Budget.

* 1000-1200.

Size.

* N/A.

Features.

How many megapixels will suffice for you?.

*N/A.

* 10 - image quality.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?.

* Manual.

General Usage.

* What will you generally use the camera for?.

Hobbyist and School Biology Student.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?.

Yes.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?.

Absolutely Yes.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?.

On occasion - Hockey games.

Miscellaneous.

Are there particular brands you like or hate? N/A.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? N/A.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD).

Image Stabilization, Wide Angle..

My master list so far....

Canon Digital Rebel XTi zoom kit w/18-55 & 75-300 usm lens - Includes both a 18-55mm & 75-300mm usm Canon zoom lens. $899.

Nikon D40x Digital SLR Zoom Lens Bundle with 18-55mm Lens and 55-200mm - $899.

Olympus E-510 Evolt 2 Lens Kit - Includes a 14-42mm & 40-150mm - $979.

Pentax K10D Digital SLR + Pentax 50-200mm DA ED Lens - $899.

Sony Alpha 100 Digital SLR Camera w/18-70mm & 75-300mm Lens - $849.99.

Another thing I should mention is which one of the bunch has the best performance in low light and fast moving objects?..

Comments (27)

Those are all wrong choices and will leave you frustrated..

Get a used Nikon D1H and a used 80-200/2.8. You should be able to do this for under $1k...

Comment #1

At the risk of upsetting many posters (I apologise in advance )I would dismiss the Olympus ,Pentax and Sony offerings and concentrate on Canon or Nikon.Its a simple fact that the vast majority of Pros and serious amateurs use these systems.They do so because at the top end they are the best and they have the intermediate bodies and comprehensive lens ranges to advance and develop your interest and skills.Olympus Pentax and Sony are all excellent manufacturers but lenses are the single biggest investment for photographers ,to swap systems mid stream has a major cost implication.At the moment there are terrific deals on entry level cameras from both Canon and Nikon.Go into a shop and pick the cameras up and handle them.Try the bodies with a battery grip(it changes the feel completely).Go with the one you feel most comfortable with and couple it with the best walkabout lens you can get.Sigma do a 17-70mm lens for both Canon and Nikon which would be perfect.Get used to the camera you have chosen-take lots and lots of pics.You will pretty soon discover your own style and will then be in a position to make informed choices with regard to additional lenses and equipment.If you go the Canon route you could add the 50mm f/1.8 lens straight away-it is very cheap and will work very well in low light.Nikon may well have a similiar offering-your dealer will be able to advise you.Photography is an addictive interest and can suck money feeding the lens habit.Take your time and get it right from the start and you will have a lifetime of fun.Whatever you choose, go forth and ENJOY.PJT..

Comment #2

See also this:.

Http://forums.dpreview.com/...ums/readflat.asp?forum=1002&thread=26221255.

I am not very familiar with Nikon. About your Canon equipment on the list - I would not get any of those lenses. Get at least the IS version of the kit lens..

About the number of megapixels - do not worry about that...

Comment #3

Wombat 52 wrote:.

At the risk of upsetting many posters (I apologise in advance )Iwould dismiss the Olympus ,Pentax and Sony offerings and concentrateon Canon or Nikon.Its a simple fact that the vast majority of Prosand serious amateurs use these systems.They do so because at the topend they are the best and they have the intermediate bodies andcomprehensive lens ranges to advance and develop your interest andskills.Olympus Pentax and Sony are all excellent manufacturers butlenses are the single biggest investment for photographers ,to swapsystems mid stream has a major cost implication.At the moment thereare terrific deals on entry level cameras from both Canon andNikon.Go into a shop and pick the cameras up and handle them.Try thebodies with a battery grip(it changes the feel completely).Go withthe one you feel most comfortable with and couple it with the bestwalkabout lens you can get.Sigma do a 17-70mm lens for both Canon andNikon which would be perfect.Get used to the camera you havechosen-take lots and lots of pics.You will pretty soon discover yourown style and will then be in a position to make informed choiceswith regard to additional lenses and equipment.If you go the Canonroute you could add the 50mm f/1.8 lens straight away-it is verycheap and will work very well in low light.Nikon may well have asimiliar offering-your dealer will be able to advise you.Photographyis an addictive interest and can suck money feeding the lenshabit.Take your time and get it right from the start and you willhave a lifetime of fun.Whatever you choose, go forth and ENJOY.PJT.

Sorry but there is no other way of puting it..

Yes, most Pros do use Nikon or Canon, but many also use Fuji or Pentax or Oly or Leica or Sony or whatever else they feel they need to. As for "serious amateurs"...your kidding right??.

I am hardly a pro and barely an amatuer but my lowly Pentaxes give me a lot of fun and save me a lot of money in terms of cost to by and in entrance to music events that I get entry to and enjoy shooting at..

My entire kit would cost less than the price of a quite a few single Nikon (or Canon) lenses yet I have300 2.8, 135 1.8, 50 1.2 etc etc etc...and they are all stabilised on my Pentax..

Want a 500mm telephoto faster than f5.6?....I will take my old Tamron 300 2.8 with Pentax 1.7x auto focus adapter over spending thousands with another system to get a stabilised tele any day..

A camera is a tool...thats all..it takes photos ..a pro can use a disposable if they have to. Telling people to forget other systems just because you have another is just plain silly..

So you think people should not buy a system they may actually prefer, and be better for them because nikon makes a lens that costs as much as a car...even though they will never even want one?...yeah right!.

Edit...as for an expense swapping from one brand to another...tell that to thos Canon pros swapping to a Nikon D3?Or those with thousands of dollars of Canon FD lenses..

Image control:Zoom outZoom 100%Zoom inExpand AllOpen in new window.

Neil.

Link back to flickrhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/26884588@N00/..

Comment #4

Neofx wrote:.

Budget.

* 1000-1200.

Size.

* N/A.

Features.

How many megapixels will suffice for you?.

*N/A.

* 10 - image quality.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperturepriority, manual)?.

* Manual.

General Usage.

* What will you generally use the camera for?.

Hobbyist and School Biology Student.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?.

Yes.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?.

Absolutely Yes.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?.

On occasion - Hockey games.

Miscellaneous.

Are there particular brands you like or hate? N/A.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? N/A.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features?(Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD).

Image Stabilization, Wide Angle..

My master list so far....

Canon Digital Rebel XTi zoom kit w/18-55 & 75-300 usm lens - Includesboth a 18-55mm & 75-300mm usm Canon zoom lens. $899.

Nikon D40x Digital SLR Zoom Lens Bundle with 18-55mm Lens and55-200mm - $899.

Olympus E-510 Evolt 2 Lens Kit - Includes a 14-42mm & 40-150mm - $979.

Pentax K10D Digital SLR + Pentax 50-200mm DA ED Lens - $899.

Sony Alpha 100 Digital SLR Camera w/18-70mm & 75-300mm Lens - $849.99.

Another thing I should mention is which one of the bunch has the bestperformance in low light and fast moving objects?.

Hi.

The Pentax is very good and probably the best camera but not necessarily the best in low light...also your choice with the pentax only starts at 50mm while the others have wider lenses..

In your shoes I may very well go with the Canon (from your list) but I do think you have other better choices available..

As a complete kit that Oly system would be fine also. the pentax would need at least another lens or 2 and the Sony is not for me..though it may be for you..

There are some new cameras due to be announce in a week or two..

Try them all and get what YOU like..

Neil..

Comment #5

Wombat 52 wrote:.

At the risk of upsetting many posters (I apologise in advance )Iwould dismiss the Olympus ,Pentax and Sony offerings and concentrateon Canon or Nikon.Its a simple fact that the vast majority of Prosand serious amateurs use these systems..

I am a serious amateur and use an Oly. I do not disagree that many pros use Canon and Nikon. So what. Many "pro's" use lots of things that I don't. To say this make is what the pros use is frankly meaningless. I have found the entry level Canon's frankly to have the build quality of a toy..

They do so because at the topend they are the best and they have the intermediate bodies andcomprehensive lens ranges to advance and develop your interest andskills..

This also is a gross overstatement. ANY of the DSLR manufacture's listed make excellent cameras. They will all be able to do anything you want within reason if you have the proper lenses and accessories..

Olympus Pentax and Sony are all excellent manufacturers butlenses are the single biggest investment for photographers ,to swapsystems mid stream has a major cost implication. At the moment thereare terrific deals on entry level cameras from both Canon andNikon.

At the present time comperable Nikon's and Canon's will all be more expensive then the Oly's or Pentax. I have not used the Pentax but I can guarentee that the Oly kit lenses will be anything that comes with the Nikon or Canon at the same price..

Go into a shop and pick the cameras up and handle them.Try thebodies with a battery grip (it changes the feel completely). Go withthe one you feel most comfortable with and couple it with the bestwalkabout lens you can get. Sigma do a 17-70mm lens for both Canon andNikon which would be perfect..

The Oly 510 comes with 2 lenses that are more then comperable to this Sigma lens. The sigma is equiv to a 27 to 112mm. The oly kit lenses will cover 28mm to 300mm equiv..

I agree the poster should look at ALL available cameras and pick the one they like not the one that is most popular with the "in" crowd..

Olympus E-500, Olympus E-510..

Comment #6

Neofx wrote:.

My master list so far....

Canon Digital Rebel XTi zoom kit w/18-55 & 75-300 usm lens - Includesboth a 18-55mm & 75-300mm usm Canon zoom lens. $899.

Nikon D40x Digital SLR Zoom Lens Bundle with 18-55mm Lens and55-200mm - $899.

Olympus E-510 Evolt 2 Lens Kit - Includes a 14-42mm & 40-150mm - $979.

Pentax K10D Digital SLR + Pentax 50-200mm DA ED Lens - $899.

Sony Alpha 100 Digital SLR Camera w/18-70mm & 75-300mm Lens - $849.99.

Another thing I should mention is which one of the bunch has the bestperformance in low light and fast moving objects?.

First you need to check these prices again. I know you can get the 510 kit for around $650 from B&H photo, a very reputable dealer. I have not looked up the others but I would guess that they may be high also..

Please remember that this is simply MY opinion and you need to make a decision on an investment for yourself. I hate the Canon. It feels like it was "made in Japan" when that was NOT a good thing. It just feels cheap..

The Pentax, Oly, and Sony, all have IS built into the camera. This means that you get IS with every lens not just the ones you pay more for like Canon and Nikon. The OLY has live view which is VERY helpful if you are doing macro photography indoors or outdoors. I personnally did not like the feel and operation of the A100 from Sony. I have not used the Pentax but I have heard good things about it. The Pentax is the ONLY one of the group which is weather proof..

Best camera for indoor low light performance is NOT the oly particularly if you are using autofocus. (how's that for honesty!!!) However lowlight performance and perfomance for fast action is not driven much by the camera. Particularly the ones that you have listed. They will all shoot about 3FPS. The key for low light and fast action is a FAST LENS not the camera body. All the cameras you have listed will produce good images in these conditions IF you have a good fast lens.

Its a question of cost and quality and range..

Olympus E-500, Olympus E-510..

Comment #7

I rather anticipated a rant like this.It normally happens in the form of a Canon v Nikon argument.I was very careful not to knock any camera or manufacturer in my comments and I have no intention of starting now.However when you make your first DSLR purchase and buy into either Canon or Nikon you are buying into a complete range of bodies and a comprehensive ranges of lenses into which you can upgrade seamlessly.Olympus,Sony and Pentax are not yet in that position.If you are happy to stick with the starter kit of any manufacturer thats fine and it wont make a difference which brand you choose.However if you want to grow and develop this fascinating hobby it makes sense(to me anyway) to buy into the ranges that will best allow you to develop.PJT..

Comment #8

(1) Do you have any photographic experience ? If so, what ? If not get a book on basic photography and read it, then return to choosing a camera..

(2) Any DSLR and kit lenses can cover what you want, because what you want is a general purpose entry level kit to learn on. All these cameras are very capable and I don't think there is a clear leader..

(3) We can all list our favorite lenses and bodies for you and it won't help you. It's your camera system, not ours. Our needs may not match yours..

(4) Lenses - worry about them when you know (!) your kit lenses are a limit to your photography ( this might never happen ! )..

(5) Choose a camera by selecting which camera feels right to you when you hold it and when you look through the viewfinder. This single comfort factor (almost) defines how well you will be able to shoot. If you are not comfortable with the camera, where the buttons are, etc., you will never be comfortable shooting..

You will have to compromise. Almost everyone ends up compromising..

Lenses are very expensive. Unless you are a pro looking for a very long or very wide (aperture) short prime any brand will give you access to equally expensive lenses. Lens quality has to be judged on a lens-by-lens basis and no single company produces consistently better or worse lenses..

It is fair to say that Nikon and Canon lenses are more commonly available. However you will not go short of minolta (sony mount ) glass, pentax glass. I do think that Olympus ( the 4/3 system mount ) have a small range of lenses available. This is compounded by the fact that, while Pentax and Sony can mount older AF lenses from their mount system, ( and so have a pool of existing lenses to pick from ), Olympus systems are limited in this respect..

One advantage of choosing the cheapest DSLR kit ( you like ) is that you can sell it later and move to a system that meets your specific needs when you know those needs better. Entry levels systems are all excellent so it is not going to limit your ability to learn..

Contrary to common myth people do switch brands and even have cameras and lenses for different mounts..

StephenG.

Pentax K100DFuji S5200Fuji E900PCLinuxOS..

Comment #9

Neofx wrote:.

Canon Digital Rebel XTi zoom kit w/18-55 & 75-300 usm lens - Includesboth a 18-55mm & 75-300mm usm Canon zoom lens. $899.

Nikon D40x Digital SLR Zoom Lens Bundle with 18-55mm Lens and55-200mm - $899.

Olympus E-510 Evolt 2 Lens Kit - Includes a 14-42mm & 40-150mm - $979.

Pentax K10D Digital SLR + Pentax 50-200mm DA ED Lens - $899.

Sony Alpha 100 Digital SLR Camera w/18-70mm & 75-300mm Lens - $849.99.

Dear neofx,.

All of the above look good for a first dSLR - I believe they all scored "highly recommended" in reviews here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating , but don't have too high an expectation for results - sometimes it comes down to you holding the camera back, eventually one day it'll be the other way around. I personally started digital with a 350D, predecessor to the 400D, and really enjoy using it. I have done sports including cricket, soccer, rugby and basketball with it and while I wished it could take more frames per second and I had better lenses, the results were on the whole quite acceptable..

The trouble is, whatever you buy can potentially, when you factor in budget, tie you to the brand depending on what other equipment you buy - in a sense, the body is the bit you end up retiring one day while the lenses, flashes and other bits and bobs live on. Switching from one brand to the other in future may not be desirable if you have significant investments in lenses, for example... I am switching over to Nikon soon, since all I bought was a 350D + 2 basic lenses all in one box....

The best I can suggest is that you take a long hard look at all the equipment available in each brand's photographic arsenal and choose based on which company will satisfy your needs - you mentioned fast action in low light, for example....

Ultimately only you can make the decision and no doubt every person you ask will say something different. I hope it doesn't get too confusing..

Good luck!!!.

Best regards,AptSmith..

Comment #10

Wombat 52 wrote:.

I rather anticipated a rant like this.It normally happens in the formof a Canon v Nikon argument.I was very careful not to knock anycamera or manufacturer in my comments and I have no intention ofstarting now.However when you make your first DSLR purchase and buyinto either Canon or Nikon you are buying into a complete range ofbodies and a comprehensive ranges of lenses into which you canupgrade seamlessly.Olympus,Sony and Pentax are not yet in thatposition.If you are happy to stick with the starter kit of anymanufacturer thats fine and it wont make a difference which brand youchoose.However if you want to grow and develop this fascinating hobbyit makes sense(to me anyway) to buy into the ranges that will bestallow you to develop.PJT.

"Rants" like this will be necessary as long as people put garbage like your post up..

Ok so how are they not in a position?.

How long have you been taking photographs?....Do YOU have any lenses that could not get something similar in another brand?.

Please point out where I am wrong..

Again....if "serious amatuers" are only using Nikon or Canon....what are all those people with E3 or K10d or Fuji S5 or leica rangefinders, or Sigma etc etc etc....

Canon may very well be the right camera for the OP...but not becaue it IS a Canon (think about it thats what YOU are saying)....but because it may be better for their needs than the others..

ALL brands have their strengths and weaknesses....want a F2 zoom lens...get one for Canon?....oh sorry they are only made for OLY..cost a lot too so they will never sell cos no pros or serious amatuers use OLY..

You should tell people to get what is right for them...not you.

One last thing....Someone buying an entry level camera and lens is going to spend x amount of money if they buy Canon (never mind they could have spent less elswhere)....2 years later they decide to upgrade so they want a new pro grade Canon camera and pro grade lenses....it will cost them several times as much to do it and it will cost exactly the same to do it from another brand..

Neil..

Comment #11

Neil holmes wrote:.

One last thing....Someone buying an entry level camera and lens isgoing to spend x amount of money if they buy Canon (never mind theycould have spent less elswhere)....2 years later they decide toupgrade so they want a new pro grade Canon camera and pro gradelenses....it will cost them several times as much to do it and itwill cost exactly the same to do it from another brand..

It does not really work like that. You buy an entry level body with a kit lens, then you buy better, still cheap lenses, then you buy an $1K+ lens that just an year ago was out of your league, then you buy another one, then you find out that you body is too outdated, etc..

It is not like one sunny day you decide to upgrade all of your equipment, sell your used stuff that is worth almost nothing and then it does not really matter whether you choose another brand or not. At least, it did not work that way for me and for a few other people I know..

About the brands - I cannot express opinion about brands that I never used. I had both Canons and Nikons in the past, and an Yashica SLR, by the way at some point - not bad at all. But it is true that most (but not all) serious amateurs have either Canon or Nikon gear. Just look around you next time you go to some exotic place. Whether this means that those brands are superior or not - I do not want to discuss this, and frankly, I do not even know. But a beginner should be aware of that fact...

Comment #12

Neil holmes wrote:.

Wombat 52 wrote:.

Snip.

Canon may very well be the right camera for the OP...but not becaueit IS a Canon (think about it thats what YOU are saying)....butbecause it may be better for their needs than the others..

Snip.

Neil.

Thank you Neil..

If you don't know what you will need in the future (most beginners), buy the one that feels best in your hands and gives you the most bang for the buck, and learn through experience. As others have said above as you progress you may get more serious in this hobby. At which point you'll want better equipment and you'll be in a good position to know which better equipment you want..

All of the major brands will cover the needs of a hobbyiest. The cost of your first entry level body and kit lens will be insignificant if you decide to progress further...

Comment #13

I don't disagree that a newbie should be aware of what are the most popular brands. However, it is a gross overstatement to equate most popular with best quality. IMO, particularly at the entry and mid range, popularity is driven more by marketing then overall quality. Not that Nikon's quality is bad but it is not any better at the entry and mid level then Oly and it can certainly be argued that the body quality on the Pentax is the best of the bunch listed..

Popularity does not equate to quality or long term functionallity. I mean look at Britney Spears and General Motors.  ..

MaddogOlympus E-500, Olympus E-510..

Comment #14

Peter 13 wrote:.

It is not like one sunny day you decide to upgrade all of yourequipment, sell your used stuff that is worth almost nothing and thenit does not really matter whether you choose another brand or not. Atleast, it did not work that way for me and for a few other people Iknow..

Hi.

Some people yes, they will have a camera and lens or two and then get a serious upgrade...others will do the gradual thing...me I had Pentax film cameras with a few nice lenses so it was a no brainer...would cost me over ten thousand dollars to get the same range with other brands as I can get with my pentaxes..

And while cameras have a finite life and value, penatx lenses used (good ones) sell for a premium....thats actual one of the problems...if you do want to switch later you can get your money back on your lenses..

Remember pros will get what is needed...which is why a lot of Canon pros are switching to Nikon D3s....it costs them even more to switch given what they have spent alrady...but they still do..

About the brands - I cannot express opinion about brands that I neverused. I had both Canons and Nikons in the past, and an Yashica SLR,by the way at some point - not bad at all. But it is true that most(but not all) serious amateurs have either Canon or Nikon gear. Justlook around you next time you go to some exotic place. Whether thismeans that those brands are superior or not - I do not want todiscuss this, and frankly, I do not even know. But a beginner shouldbe aware of that fact..

In those exotic places many of those cameras will be used by snapshooters and be entry level cameras..

An argument could be made that "serious amatuers" are the ones using other brands...particualrly the higher level other brand cameras....thats who they are aimed at. Many serious amatuers use entry level dslrs to of course...and film cameras.....and point and shoot cameras..

In 2 to 3 years (well ok 5 years) we will see people arguing about which is better....the Sony matchbook size all in one for a wedding...or the Panasonic one or the Samsung one...and dslrs will be sitting in cuboards next to film slrs..

Neil..

Comment #15

Wombat 52 wrote:.

Oh no they wont.Check out their websites.

Unless you explain further my response will be "Oh yes they will"..

(aka Monty Python's Argument skit).

PJT..

Comment #16

-Oh dear do you not understand the english language.I was not knocking olympus cameras. merely making a point about the development of a hobbyDont feel so defensive about your own choices.Grow up learn english and respect an opinion for what it is.I agree with you the initial Oly kit is a good one.But where do you go from thereAbsolutely nowhere.Maybe Oly will developI hope so But not at the present.PJT..

Comment #17

Wombat 52 wrote:.

-Oh dear do you not understand the english language.I was notknocking olympus cameras. merely making a point about the developmentof a hobbyDont feel so defensive about your own choices.Grow uplearn english and respect an opinion for what it is.I agree with youthe initial Oly kit is a good one.But where do you go fromthereAbsolutely nowhere.Maybe Oly willdevelopI hope so But not at the present.PJT.

As best I can tell Maddog's argument is to look at all the possibilities (which the OP is doing). All of them are capable for a beginner. I will agree that as the beginner gets more advanced the differences between brands become more important. A beginner doesn't know what's important to _them_ yet and neither does anyone else. As a beginner advances and buys more equipment the price of the entry level kit is very small as long as they don't go hog wild and buy everything in sight all at once..

My advice: Buy an entry level kit (relatively inexpensive) and learn rather than endlessly fret about which entry level system is better..

I suspect all the manufacturer's entry kits are sold at cost or below. They make their money on upselling and lenses. The rhetoric is therefore designed to lock the newbie into their system before they can make an informed choice. The way to minimize the impact of that lock in is to not spend lots of money until you're not a newbie any longer...

Comment #18

Please translate your comments into an understandable format.Just what is it you are trying to say.Feel free to disagree that is everyones prerogative on this site.I tried to be courteous when I made my comments and I declared no favour for a particular brandindeed I suggested a choice of two.Ranting just diminishes these sites and hi-jacks threads.What is it with the choice of a camera brand that turns people into machismo pygmies in the defence of their own particular selection.I stand by every comment I made and would repeat it as good advice.Oh by the way in my household we have Olympus ,Pentax and Canon and I seem to remember that I rejected two of those brands in my recommendations,which after all are just an opinion.You are obviously a Pentax fan and have a fine collection of older Pentax glass. collected from pre digital days.They are lovely and I admire themgood for you.However it does not change my original comments with regard to modern DSLRs and sadly of course you also know that Pentax is not the brand it once was.As a player in the modern DSLR market it's market share is minimal and it's influence negligible.That may well change and I hope it does-The more competition the betterand the better prices and products for all.I actually dont care what system anyone buysits up to them.I was asked for advice and gave itBuy Canon or Nikon.Its still my opinion.PJT..

Comment #19

Hi.

I couldnt agree more.Get a camera you feel comfortable with and are happy to learn on.I have no axe to grind against Oly ,Pentax or Sony.MY point is asimple oneif you get the bug and a lot will-then the two brands to grow with are Nikon or Canon.If only Oly,Pentax and Sony could say the same thing-I would be thrilled.I am no more happier than anyone else about the lack of choice it diminishes us.PJT..

Comment #20

Wombat 52 wrote:.

HiI couldnt agree more.Get a camera you feel comfortable with and arehappy to learn on.I have no axe to grind against Oly ,Pentax orSony.MY point is asimple oneif you get the bug and a lot will-thenthe two brands to grow with are Nikon or Canon.If only Oly,Pentax andSony could say the same thing-I would be thrilled.I am no more happier than anyone else about the lack of choice itdiminishes us.PJT.

Cool. I started out shooting Canon and then Mamiya. I ended up finding I liked short to medium fixed focal length lenses. If I wouldn't have looked at Pentax limited primes (still in production) I'd have been less satisfied with my digital SLR setup..

My point is that the first system anyone purchases may very well end up being not the best for their needs. Limiting the initial choices to Canon and Nikon because that's what everyone else uses, or because they have the largest overall selection isn't necessarily useful..

I helped one friend determine that an Oly was best for them, two other's Nikon's. We'll see where they end up in a few years...

Comment #21

Sjgcit wrote:.

(4) Lenses - worry about them when you know (!) your kit lenses are alimit to your photography ( this might never happen ! )..

He said he's going to shoot hockey. He's going to hit a brick wall with the kit lenses..

Truly, he's much better off with a older, used pro camera with limited megapixels, along with a used 80-200/2.8 zoom lens...

Comment #22

Wombat 52 wrote:.

-Oh dear do you not understand the english language.I was notknocking olympus cameras. merely making a point about the developmentof a hobbyDont feel so defensive about your own choices.Grow uplearn english and respect an opinion for what it is.I agree with youthe initial Oly kit is a good one.But where do you go fromthereAbsolutely nowhere.Maybe Oly willdevelopI hope so But not at the present.PJT.

Wombat,.

I understand the language just fine. You stated.

"At the risk of upsetting many posters (I apologise in advance )I would dismiss the Olympus ,Pentax and Sony offerings and concentrate on Canon or Nikon".

I am not saying dismiss anything..

You also stated.

"Its a simple fact that the vast majority of Pros and serious amateurs use these systems.".

In fact I agreed with your comment about the Pros however I found it to be of little use when considering what a beginner should get..

I respect your opinion I just find it faulty in development and I don't agree with it. I am not defensive of Oly. I think they produce a great product in the entry and mid range at an outstanding price. I think their marketing absolutly sucks and their sales approach in the US is a joke. However their equipment should not be "dismissed" just because you say so. Neither should Pentax or Sony..

Lastly I did not tell YOU to grow up or that you could not understand.

English although after your previous post I do have some concerns about your maturity. Also I firmly believe that you need to learn how to use a space bar and when a paragraph should start and stop..

MaddogOlympus E-500, Olympus E-510..

Comment #23

Wombat 52 wrote:.

You are obviously a Pentax fan and have a fine collection ofolder Pentax glass..

I am a Pentax USER (though yes I am hppy with what I have). ONE of us has no trouble recommending another brand...or more specificlly the best camera for the job regardless of brand..

I was asked for advice and gave itBuy Canon or Nikon..

As you (and anyone) is entitled to do..

Its still my opinion..

And sorry but it's still garbage..

PJT.

Neil..

Comment #24

And another wall of text. Ever heard of paragraphs ? Everybody, including pro and serious amateur writers, use them so I would go with them..

Also, try to get some arguments between the thinly veiled insults. Like what lenses/accessories/whatever exactly Olympus and Pentax users can't buy. Your opinion can't even be considered as an authority argument since quite honestly no one but yourself takes you seriously (See, I'm also better at insults than you)..

Wombat 52 wrote:.

Please translate your comments into an understandable format.Justwhat is it you are trying to say.Feel free to disagree that iseveryones prerogative on this site.I tried to be courteous when Imade my comments and I declared no favour for a particularbrandindeed I suggested a choice of two.Ranting just diminishesthese sites and hi-jacks threads.What is it with the choice of acamera brand that turns people into machismo pygmies in the defenceof their own particular selection.I stand by every comment I made andwould repeat it as good advice.Oh by the way in my household we haveOlympus ,Pentax and Canon and I seem to remember that I rejected twoof those brands in my recommendations,which after all are just anopinion.You are obviously a Pentax fan and have a fine collection ofolder Pentax glass. collected from pre digital days.They are lovelyand I admire themgood for you.However it does not change myoriginal comments with regard to modern DSLRs and sadly of course youalso know that Pentax is not the brand it once was.As a player in themodern DSLR market it's market share is minimal and it's influencenegligible.That may well change and I hope it does-The morecompetition the betterand the better prices and products for all.I actually dont care what system anyone buysits up to them.I was asked for advice and gave itBuy Canon or Nikon.Its still my opinion.PJT..

Comment #25

A lens won't help unless you have technique, which the OP does not have. Shooting sports is otherwise hit and miss. Technique makes the difference..

He said "occasionally". It's not a big enough priority now..

I shot hockey games with a Konica MInolta Z3, and the result were good enough. Unless he needs to shoot pro, this lens nonsense can wait..

StephenG.

Pentax K100DFuji S5200Fuji E900PCLinuxOS..

Comment #26

Sjgcit wrote:.

A lens won't help unless you have technique, which the OP does nothave. Shooting sports is otherwise hit and miss. Technique makesthe difference..

He said "occasionally". It's not a big enough priority now..

Are you telling me that a f2.8 lens won't be a huge help over a f5.6?.

We're talking 1/500th vs. 1/125th, or 1/250th vs. 1/60th..

The less technique you have, the more you need your equipment to bail you out...

Comment #27

Click Here to View All...

Sponsored Amazon Deals:

1. Get big savings on Amazon warehouse deals.
2. Save up to 70% on Amazon Products.


This question was taken from a support group/message board and re-posted here so others can learn from it.

 

Categories: Home | Diet & Weight Management | Vitamins & Supplements | Herbs & Cleansing |

Sexual Health | Medifast Support | Nutrisystem Support | Medifast Questions |

Web Hosting | Web Hosts | Website Hosting | Hosting |

Web Hosting | GoDaddy | Digital Cameras | Best WebHosts |

Web Hosting FAQ | Web Hosts FAQ | Hosting FAQ | Hosting Group |

Hosting Questions | Camera Tips | Best Cameras To Buy | Best Cameras This Year |

Camera Q-A | Digital Cameras Q-A | Camera Forum | Nov 2010 - Cameras |

Oct 2010 - Cameras | Oct 2010 - DSLRs | Oct 2010 - Camera Tips | Sep 2010 - Cameras |

Sep 2010 - DSLRS | Sep 2010 - Camera Tips | Aug 2010 - Cameras | Aug 2010 - DSLR Tips |

Aug 2010 - Camera Tips | July 2010 - Cameras | July 2010 - Nikon Cameras | July 2010 - Canon Cameras |

July 2010 - Pentax Cameras | Medifast Recipes | Medifast Recipes Tips | Medifast Recipes Strategies |

Medifast Recipes Experiences | Medifast Recipes Group | Medifast Recipes Forum | Medifast Support Strategies |

Medifast Support Experiences |

 

(C) Copyright 2010 All rights reserved.