snubbr.com

depth of field problem
Dslr has bigger sensor and so deeper depth of field. what if you need to use big aperture like actions or low light and you want deeper depth of field. is it not quite achievable in dslr?..

Comments (7)

New_type wrote:.

Dslr has bigger sensor and so deeper depth of field. what if you needto use big aperture like actions or low light and you want deeperdepth of field. is it not quite achievable in dslr?.

You may be confused - or maybe I am confused by your terminology?.

The DSLR has a bigger sensor and therefore a NARROWER depth of field..

If you use a wide aperture for action and low light, you will get a narrow depth of field. The longer the lens, the narrower the depth of field gets..

The only way to achieve a deeper depth of field in your example, is to use a camera with good quality at high iso speed, such as a Nikon D3 or Canon 5D. With these cameras you can set them to iso 3200 or even 6400 and therefore use a smaller aperture to get a greater depth..

However these cameras and their lenses are expensive and heavy, but worth it if you are earning money from your low light/sports photographs..

Bizy..

Comment #1

Toobizy wrote:.

New_type wrote:.

Dslr has bigger sensor and so deeper depth of field. what if you needto use big aperture like actions or low light and you want deeperdepth of field. is it not quite achievable in dslr?.

You may be confused - or maybe I am confused by your terminology?.

The DSLR has a bigger sensor and therefore a NARROWER depth of field..

If you use a wide aperture for action and low light, you will get anarrow depth of field. The longer the lens, the narrower the depth offield gets..

The only way to achieve a deeper depth of field in your example, isto use a camera with good quality at high iso speed, such as a NikonD3 or Canon 5D. With these cameras you can set them to iso 3200 oreven 6400 and therefore use a smaller aperture to get a greater depth..

However these cameras and their lenses are expensive and heavy, butworth it if you are earning money from your low light/sportsphotographs..

It is necessary to be very clear here or, as you say, confusion will reign!.

For a given focal length lens: the larger the sensor, the greater the depth of field because the image has to be magnified less to give a specific print size. Thus a picture taken with a 50mm lens on a full-frame camera will have *more* depth of field than a picture taken with the same lens on a smaller sensor camera. You can see the effect using theon-line calculator at.

Http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html.

For example... 50mm lens, f/8, focussed at 10 feet. On a full-frame camera (Canon IDs) the dof is from 7.7 to 14 feet. On a crop-sensor camera (Canon XTi) the dof is from 8.5 to 12.2 feet. The extra magnification of the image between sensor and print means that a detail that may have been just in focus on a full-frame camera (i.e. blur less than your eye can discern) will be out of focus on the print from a crop-sensor camera (the extra magnification increases the blur so that it is now apparent)..

BUT.

The two situations do not give the same field of view. 50mm on a full-frame camera is equivalent, in terms of field of view, to a 30mm lens on a crop-sensor camera; and the 30mm lens has inherently much greater dof than the 50mm lens. hence, *for a given field of view*, the bigger the sensor, the less the d-o-f because the focal length of the lens is increasing..

To the OP: you cannot use a wide aperture (in low light) AND get a big depth of field; the two are mutually incompatible. You will get more depth of field as you use wider angle lenses but, in general, you will get less d-o-f on a DSLR comapred to a compact because of the longer focal lengths. Play with the calculator above and the effects should become clear..

Best wishes.

Mike..

Comment #2

Yes, you are right. bigger sensor narrower depth of field. so how to get deeper depth of field with wider aperture in dlsr?..

Comment #3

Mike and I have answered your question in our replies above. Please read them..

You cannot have a wide aperture and a large depth of field. As Mike says - that is mutually incompatible..

Your only solution is to stop the lens down to a smaller aperture. This will give you a slow shutter speed that will create blurred pictures. If you have a lot of money to spend on a DSLR, get yourself a Nikon D3, set it to iso 6400, stop the lens down to f8 or f11 (better still) and get your depth of field that way..

Bizy..

Comment #4

New_type wrote:.

Yes, you are right. bigger sensor narrower depth of field. so how toget deeper depth of field with wider aperture in dlsr?.

Use a shorter focal length lens, focus near infinity, that's about it without stopping down the lens aperture..

Image control:Zoom outZoom 100%Zoom inExpand AllOpen in new window..

Comment #5

New_type wrote:.

Yes, you are right. bigger sensor narrower depth of field. so how toget deeper depth of field with wider aperture in dlsr?.

A narrwer aperture gives you more depth of field. At f2.8 you will get shallow DOF. At f 22 you will get deep DOF..

The difference between the digicam and the dslr is the aperture setting to get a certain DOF..

At f2.8 on your digicam, that will give you about the same DOF as about f9 on the dslr. So you simply can't get very shallow DOF on the digicam. At it's highest setting of f8, the digicam will give you DOF as deep as about f22 on your dslr..

Deep DOF is never a problem with either camera. You can adjust them both to the point where diffraction overcomes the benefit of increased DOF. But the digicam is limited in the amount of shallow DOF it will give you...

Comment #6

First look up "hyperfocal". Then either get farther away from the subject, use a shorter focal length or use higher ISO if the hyperfocal study didn't work..

I'm gonna have to sell some of this stuff so I can buy more stuff! Mummm, more stuff!..

Comment #7

Click Here to View All...

Sponsored Amazon Deals:

1. Get big savings on Amazon warehouse deals.
2. Save up to 70% on Amazon Products.


This question was taken from a support group/message board and re-posted here so others can learn from it.

 

Categories: Home | Diet & Weight Management | Vitamins & Supplements | Herbs & Cleansing |

Sexual Health | Medifast Support | Nutrisystem Support | Medifast Questions |

Web Hosting | Web Hosts | Website Hosting | Hosting |

Web Hosting | GoDaddy | Digital Cameras | Best WebHosts |

Web Hosting FAQ | Web Hosts FAQ | Hosting FAQ | Hosting Group |

Hosting Questions | Camera Tips | Best Cameras To Buy | Best Cameras This Year |

Camera Q-A | Digital Cameras Q-A | Camera Forum | Nov 2010 - Cameras |

Oct 2010 - Cameras | Oct 2010 - DSLRs | Oct 2010 - Camera Tips | Sep 2010 - Cameras |

Sep 2010 - DSLRS | Sep 2010 - Camera Tips | Aug 2010 - Cameras | Aug 2010 - DSLR Tips |

Aug 2010 - Camera Tips | July 2010 - Cameras | July 2010 - Nikon Cameras | July 2010 - Canon Cameras |

July 2010 - Pentax Cameras | Medifast Recipes | Medifast Recipes Tips | Medifast Recipes Strategies |

Medifast Recipes Experiences | Medifast Recipes Group | Medifast Recipes Forum | Medifast Support Strategies |

Medifast Support Experiences |

 

(C) Copyright 2010 All rights reserved.