We get them by talking to the Counselors, the Dietitians and from the e-classes..
From posts of info received directly from Nutrisystem counselors:.
1 Vegetable Serving = 5 g. carbohydrates, 2 g. protein, 25 calories.
1 Fruit Serving = 15 g. carbohydrates, 60 calories.
1 Low-GI Carb Serving = 15 g. carbohydrates, 3 g. protein, trace of fat (3g or less), 80 - 120 calories.
1 Fat Serving = 5 g. fat, 45 calories.
1 Protein (lean) = 7 Grams of protein, 3 grams of fat and 55 calories.
Here is a suggested list of "free foods" or "extras" that was provided by NutriSystem counselors and posted by NutriSystem on the Discussion Boards. These are just an extended list of the "extras" that are listed in your Meal Planner on Page 38..
A "free food" is anything that is 20 calories or less and you can have up to 3 per day (they don't need to be with your meals, you can have them anytime). I use SF Popsicles as a snack before bed. You can eat SF Jello topped with 1 tablespoon Free Cool Whip, which is nice in the afternoon. SF Pancake Syrup is another example (most of which are 20 calories for 1/4 cup...or Walden Farms with 0 calories per serving). Just don't have all 3 at once, that would make it a carb..
FREE FOODS LIST.
There are Free Foods that can be used on the NutriSystem plan. The term Free Foods comes from the American Diabetes Association. They are low calorie foods (20 calories or less) that can be added to the meal plan in small amounts. This minimal amount of calories will not affect weight loss, but we do recommend that they be limited to 2 or 3 servings per day if the foods have any calories at all..
FOOD and QUANITY.
Diet Soda Unlimited.
Sodium Free Seltzer Water Unlimited.
Sugar Free Tonic Water Unlimited.
Club Soda (not tonic or quinine water) Unlimited.
Artificial Sweeteners Unlimited.
Spices (salt-free) Unlimited.
Lemon Juice Unlimited.
Nonstick Cooking spray Unlimited.
A-1 Sauce or Steak Sauce 1 Tbsp.
Butter Buds 1 oz.
Bouillon or Broth (Dry)- Low Sodium 1 packet, 1 tsp, 1 cube.
Bouillon or Broth (Canned)- Low Sodium cup.
Catsup 1 Tbsp.
Cocoa, dry unsweetened 1 Tbsp.
Coffee Whiteners (Powdered) 1 Tsp.
Chili Sauce 1 Tbsp.
Chocolate Topping (Reduced Calories) 1 Tbsp.
Cool Whip (fat free) 2 Tbsp.
Low cal or reduced cal syrup Amount not to Exceed 20 cals/ 0 fat.
Dream Whip 1 Tbsp.
Sugar-free Jam/Jelly Amount not to exceed 20 cal.
Low sugar Jam/Jelly 2 Tsp.
Horseradish 1 Tsp.
Mustard 1 Tsp.
Picante Sauce 1 Tbsp.
Relish 1 Tsp.
Salad Dressing (Fat Free) 2 Tbsp.
Salsa 1 Tbsp.
Soy Sauce (Low sodium) 1 Tsp.
Taco Sauce 1 Tbsp.
Worcestershire Sauce 1 Tsp.
Sugar Free Gelatin/Jello 6oz per serving = 15 cal.
Sugar Free Gum 1 stick = 5 cal.
Sugar Free Candies 20 cal or less per serving / 0 fat.
Dill Pickle 1.
Popcorn (light and natural) 1 Cup POPPED.
P.S. When I first started in February, 2006, I was sure that others had a "secret book" that I wasn't privy to...LOL.
Thanks so much for the information. By the way, what are "e-classes"?.
The e-classes are a 1/2 hour Question and Answer session with a NutriSystem Dietitian. They are held once a week, Monday at 3PM Eastern/Noon Pacific time..
The class is in the middle chat room under the COMMUNITY TAB above..
Archives of old e-class transcripts can be found under the Dietitian's Corner here on the Discussion Boards..
Welcome aboard! Be sure to call and speak to a Counselor (1-800-321-8446, Option 4) and go over your program with him/her. They help you get started off right.
Below I have listed some of the important things you will need to know as you start your NutriSystem journey:.
1. Eat all of your food (mark all of the circles in your Menu Planner) and then stop (and, if you are buying from QVC, you may have a slightly different plan or different food from people buying directly from NutriSystem);.
2. If you are a woman with under 100 pounds to lose, you only get a Low GI Carb with an entree that calls for a small roll or tortilla, then you add a multi-grain or whole-wheat roll (or any of the Carb selections) of between 80-120 calories (or 45 calories' worth of bread or melba toast for the chicken salad). If you have over 100 pounds to lose (man or woman, any plan), you add a Low GI Carb to both Breakfast AND Dinner and an extra fruit serving to lunch;.
3. Read the instructions and information on all of the food packages (see #2);.
4. The milk for the cereal is NOT counted as your Protein/Dairy serving for breakfast, but is part of the entree itself. You still need to add your Dairy/Protein serving if your plan calls for it.;.
5. Your dairy/protein serving should be 100 calories or less, 3g fat or less and 7g protein or more (but you can go as high as 120 calories once per day for yogurt, if necessary to meet the minimum protein requirements);.
6. Have a dairy/protein serving with your fruit to avoid sugar (carb) spikes from the fruit alone that happens to some people;.
7. Drink ALL of your water (64 oz. minimum), and you can count Crystal Light and decaf teas as PART of your water intake, but try to have as much plain water as you can;.
8. If you choose to imbibe alcoholic drinks, you could slow your weight loss and become dehydrated and end up munching snacks when you shouldn't, but you are an adult and it is a personal choice (just count it as completely empty calories and don't skip any food to make up for it);.
9. If you can exercise, DO...just walking is excellent, but do as much as you can;.
10. NO, we do not know how FAST you will lose (even though average, healthful weight loss is approximately 1-2 pounds per week, long term, and is quoted by the Dietitians as being average on NutriSystem after the typical first whoosh of loss by some);.
11. The people on the Discussion Boards are your friends...here to help you, motivate you, and kick your butt when necessary...don't be afraid to ask questions, but if you don't like the answers you get, well, those answers are based on the knowledge and experience of the responder. Ummm, like, don't shoot the messenger, y'know?.
12. You can have up to three (3) "free foods" per day, just not at the same time. A free food is anything 20 calories or less, which includes a Sugar Free Popsicle (15 calories), Sugar Free Jello (10 calories), Sugar Free Gum...anything that you want to take the edge off those munchie times..
13. You may (just may, not always) get GAS...some members refer to them as the NutriToots. Beano and/or Gas-X seems to help..
14. Be sure to read and study the MINDSET MAKEOVER under the MY PROGRAM tab above. It really does help you get your head around this lifestyle change..